If bacteria migrate into the root canals through a tooth decay, inflammation can spread here. This inflammation is one of the main causes of toothache.
In most cases we can treat this disease with a root canal treatment.
In some cases, however, despite the treatment of the root canals, bacteria can spread to the root apex and attack the surrounding bone. Cysts and abscesses can result.
During root tip resection, the area of the inflamed tooth root is gently removed, the canal system of the tooth is cleaned and sealed bacteria-proof.
Since more than 90% of Europeans suffer from caries in the course of their lives and this often results in inflammation of the pulp, we would like to inform you in the following about the course of treatment.
WHICH DANGERS CAN ASSUME AN INFLAMED TOOTH?
- Bacteria can migrate through the root canals into the bone and multiply rapidly there.
- This can lead to acute infections and extensive abscesses, which can be life-threatening without treatment.
- The inflammatory stimulus in the area of the root tips can also cause cysts, which cause large bone defects and weaken the jaw.
- In the area of the upper jaw, inflammations in the area of the root tips can lead to chronic and acute sinusitis.
- Especially in the case of patents with a weakened immune system, inflammations in the jaw area can also spread to the body and lead to diseases of other organs.
WHICH EXAMINATIONS ARE NECESSARY?
In order to decide whether a root tip resection is the best treatment for you, we always clarify the following aspects:
The root tip resection is not the only solution in every situation, which is why we examine all alternatives very carefully before we determine the indication for surgical treatment.
- Has a root canal treatment already been carried out on the tooth in question in advance and is it possible to preserve the tooth without surgery?
- Is the area of the root tip easy to reach and is it possible to replace the old root filling?
- What are the chances of success of the resection and is it in proportion to the surgical risks?
To answer these questions, the tooth in question is examined in detail. In order to gain an insight into the bone, an x-ray is taken, whereby a small image is usually sufficient. In some cases it makes sense to take a 3D image in order to be able to plan the treatment in the best possible way.
WHEN DOES ROOT TIP RESECTION MAKE SENSE?
The decision for the root tip resection is always individual and is not made in general. The aim is a complete healing of the findings, which is based on current scientific findings to achieve optimal healing chances. In the following situations root canal treatment is a scientifically recognized treatment method.
- For persistent inflammations and pain, which could not be eliminated by a conventional root canal treatment.
- For persistent complaints which could not be eliminated by a revision.
- In the case of a root canal treatment, the filling material has reached the bone or the maxillary sinus which causes pain.
- In case of extreme curvature of the tooth roots, complete filling of the root canals is prevented.
- In the case of extensive inflammation foci and cysts in the area of the root tips.
- If a tooth root is broken due to an accident in the area of the tip.
Before each treatment there is a personal examination and consultation, should you have any questions on the subject please contact us, we will be happy to help you.
ZAHNMEDIZIN & ORALCHIRURGIE
T (06131) 67 81 81
F (06131) 67 81 83
|Mon||8am - 1pm and 2pm - 6pm|
|Tue||8am - 1pm and 2pm - 6pm|
|Thu||8am - 1pm and 2pm - 6pm|
|Mon||8:30am-12pm and 3pm-5:30pm|
|Tue||8:30-12 and 3pm-5:30pm|
|Thu||8:30am-12pm and 3pm-5:30pm|